05.05.09

Stone Mtn. Hike

Posted in Events, Life in general at 12:19 pm by Marion

Welcome back!

It’s a rainy day here in Fiction Dailyland, but I’m still enjoying the inner glow of a nice, long, solitary hike at Stone Mountain State Park. I grew up having picnics there with my grandparents long before it was a state park. These days, there are additional trails leading up to the majestic rock faces. You can actually walk quite a ways out on these rocks, which resemble the face of the moon.

Two pictures today from that hike.

geppeto-at-wolf-rock-small.jpg

This large gray place is Wolf Rock. That’s brave Geppeto to the left. Before us are the Blue Ridge Mountains. You can actually walk quite a big along this rock face, and it’s deceptively flat.

One time I learned, though, that unless you’ve got your rock climbing gear, you don’t walk too far. I was out on this rock in December, when I came on a dark area. I walked past and continued, finding more of these dark areas. As I neared an area where the rock face thinned, I realized these dark areas were ice. At that point I was quite close to the edge, with my beloved Geppeto. We carefully and s l o w l y made our way back to the trail.

geppeto-on-trail-small.jpg

This photo shows a quiet moment when Geppeto and I were descending from Black Jack Ridge. During our trip down, it began raining and the air was damp and cool and smelled of the mountains in spring.

Though we only spent two hours on the mountain, when we got back to the car I felt myself a different person.

These holy wild places give us our souls back.

5 Comments

1. "Chuck" said,

May 6, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Chuck was here. Noticed you had that lovely G on a leash! Can’t have a slip!

2. Gene-o said,

May 7, 2009 at 10:07 am

What beautiful photos … The first one, showing brave Gepetto and the mountain range, reminded me of home. The Blue Ridge is well-named!

Where was little Dewey in all this adventuresome fun?

3. Marion said,

May 7, 2009 at 10:15 am

Little Dewey gets nervous in the car, so she doesn’t travel with me as much … little Geppeto loves the car so he’s the trip dog!

He loves the chance to explore his “wild” side. For me, it’s a quiet retreat for finding peace.

4. Fiction Daily » Blog Archive » Bluebird Babies said,

May 8, 2009 at 10:01 am

[…] and why we read. Posted most mornings by Marion Blackburn http://www.marionblackburn.net « Stone Mtn. Hike Dalai Lama in U.S. today […]

5. Fiction Daily » Blog Archive » Frittering Away said,

May 19, 2009 at 5:59 am

[…] a trip to visit family in the mountains a couple of weeks ago, I took a wonderful, head-clearing hike to Wolf Rock at Stone Mountain State […]