12.08.08

Reindeer Dash for Chris Cash

Posted in Events, Running at 9:31 am by Marion

What a great run yesterday … despite the temps … with wind that felt like 30s … during the 4th annual Reindeer Dash for Cash. It’s held each year in honor of Capt. Chris Cash, who died in Iraq. He lived in the Greenville, N.C. area before he was dispatched to Iraq and was an avid runner, marathoner and exercise physiologist at a local health center.

He obtained degrees from N.C. Wesleyan College in Rocky Mount, as well as undergraduate and graduate degrees from ECU.

I ran in the 5 K and my goal was an 11-minute mile … done!! Though for some reason (a slight cold?) I was very short of breath, especially in the first half-mile.

A shout-out to my friend Tony P., who ran with me most of the way until he passed me in the last quarter mile (you dog!!) … we had a marvelous conversation for the better part of a half hour, talking about movies, families, everything from Cesar Chavez and migrant workers to Ian Curtis and Joy Division … Dogtown and Z-Boys (great movie) … The World’s Fastest Indian (another film) … of course Steve Prefontaine and Bill Bowerman were discussed.

After the race, this 47-year old felt 20 years younger … it burnt off the slag of laziness and tupor, both physical and intellectual, that had been seeping into my psyche for the past few weeks … revved me up, inside and out, for better habits, running goals (11-minute miles weekly!!) and a new outlook on life.

People wonder why in the world anyone would force themselves to pound out mile after mile, in such a strange and nebulous pursuit as running.

Just do a 5 K, in honor of a great soul, in the freezing cold, with fascinating conversation, finished off with a cup of coffee at the finish line (!!) and a V8 juice and you’ll be hooked, too.

6 Comments

1. Gene-o said,

December 9, 2008 at 8:24 am

What an inspiration! Your story of Chris — and your story of running in his memory — was a wonderful reminder for the holiday season. It was almost enough to get me back out on the track this morning … but maybe better to wait until this awful head cold abates?

2. Marion said,

December 9, 2008 at 9:30 am

I ran another two miles yesterday … my goal is to run three miles a day … no matter what … unless of course I have a head cold!! — MB

3. Gene-o said,

December 9, 2008 at 2:27 pm

What if it’s raining? What if you oversleep? What if you’re on vacation? What if you just don’t feel like it? What if your running pants are in the laundry? What if it’s really, really, really cold out? What if it’s a holiday? What if you have a pressing deadline? What if you’re so wrapped up in writing your novel that you can’t tear yourself away?

;o)

4. Marion said,

December 9, 2008 at 3:33 pm

What if it’s December 9 2008 and I just don’t think I can make it? Oh, that would be today. I start tomorrow, absolutely!! : )

5. Marion said,

December 9, 2008 at 5:27 pm

BTW … I ran 2 miles again today … I might just do it!!

6. Gene-o said,